Skip to Main Content

Answers to common questions

We're glad you have questions. You're always welcome to email or call us for answers. You may also want to sign-up for emails and regular communications. For your convenience, we've curated our responses to the most common questions that arise among applicants.

Most frequently asked

How do I apply to 91ƬPro?

How do I apply to 91ƬPro?

91ƬPro uses the Common Application, the Coalition Application, and the QuestBridge Application. 

How do I apply for financial aid?

How do I apply for financial aid?

Complete the College Scholarship Service Financial Aid profile (CSS) by November 8 for ED I and January 15 for ED II and Regular Decision. 

How do I request a gap year?

How do I request a gap year?

Students enrolled for fall, first-year admission may request a one-year deferral of that enrollment by email until June 1.

Does 91ƬPro require standardized tests?

Does 91ƬPro require standardized tests?

91ƬPro has been test-optional since 2016. Students are not required to submit SAT or ACT test scores. You may still submit your scores if you feel the results best represent your academic potential. The good news: all applicants will be given equal consideration through our holistic evaluation process.

When do I have to declare a major?

When do I have to declare a major?

You must formally declare a major by the second semester of the sophomore year, prior to registration for the junior year. Many students start undecided or change their original path once they're here. 

How does 91ƬPro award financial aid?

Does 91ƬPro offer merit aid?

We meet 100% of demonstrated need through need-based grants. This means you only pay what you can afford. We do not "gap" students. 

Other common questions


The standard course load for a full-time student is 15 credit hours each semester, and students are encouraged to balance their commitment to quality and rigor with realistic expectations of the workload involved with specific course enrollments.

A major field of study selected from the 91ƬPro degree programs must be formally declared by the second semester of a students' sophomore year, prior to registration for the junior year.

Your summer advisor is your initial contact to assist you with academic planning. If you are a first-year student, the instructor of your Scribner Seminar (SSP 100) will be your faculty advisor in the fall. Most transfer students are assigned initially to a classroom instructor or to the chairperson of the department of an anticipated major.

Student Academic Services works independently and in cooperation with other administrative offices and academic departments and programs to identify and implement individualized accommodations.  Learn more

Student Academic Services serves students interested in strengthening their academic performance or skills by organizing peer academic coaching and individual peer tutoring, and by offering private, professional, one-on-one academic support. Learn more:

91ƬPro students often do independent research with professors during the academic year, as early as their first year. In addition, the College’s Summer Faculty-Student Research Program (five or 10 weeks) provides students with a unique opportunity to work with faculty on original research in virtually every discipline. Learn more: 

More than 50% of our graduates study off campus either internationally or domestically. Students can choose from 120 programs in 45 countries, including several 91ƬPro programs and several domestic options. Learn more:

85% of 91ƬPro students complete one internship and 75% complete two or more. Many of them are funded by the College. While some students apply independently, many utilize the expertise and network connections of our Career Development Center, which they have lifetime access to. Learn more: 


Application process

The Admissions Committee strives to admit students whose abilities, interests, character, and background give them the greatest promise of profiting from and contributing to the 91ƬPro community.

The committee’s primary emphasis is on the strength of a student’s academic record, as evidenced by quality of secondary school courses and classroom achievement. Personal qualities, accomplishments, interests, and capacity for growth are also strongly considered. So, careful attention is paid to recommendations, the student’s personal statement, and cocurricular activities.

The best way is to join our mailing list by submitting the Information Request Form. We will send you communications to keep you informed about key events and application deadlines. Feel free also to reach out to us.

You may request an application fee waiver through the Common Application or the Coalition Application.

No. We admit students through two rounds of ED and one round of RD.

Yes. You can convert your RD application to an ED II application until Feb. 1. Send an email to Admissions at admissions@skidmore.edu and indicate that you want to convert your application. We will work with you to formalize it.

The Opportunity Program (OP) provides access to a high-quality liberal arts education for talented and motivated students whose academic and financial circumstances would otherwise make them unable to attend our institution. OP consists of students from New York admitted through the state’s Higher Education Opportunity Program (HEOP) and students recruited through 91ƬPro’s Academic Opportunity Program (AOP) who live outside of New York and/or have a family income that slightly exceeds HEOP guidelines.   Learn more

After completing the enrollment reply form and applicable deposit, students may request a one-year deferral by sending an email to deanofadmissions@skidmore.edu. The email should outline the plans for their gap year and should be sent by June 1.


Costs and Aid

We’ve included some common questions below. For more financial aid information, please explore the Financial Aid Office’s FAQs

These two cost calculators can help you anticipate your college costs and estimate your eligibility for need-based scholarships. A 91ƬPro education might be more affordable than you think.

  • – This tool asks six basic financial questions and gives you a basic estimate of the amount your family will need to contribute for one year at 91ƬPro.
  • – This more comprehensive tool also provides you an early estimate of your eligibility for need-based financial aid, including grants and scholarships.

If you are a United States citizen or permanent resident of the US, you are eligible to apply for financial aid at 91ƬPro. Ther College is also able to offer a very limited number of financial aid awards to students who are not citizens or permanent residents of the United States. International students who are applying for financial aid must complete the .

For basic annual costs of attendance, please visit the Bursar’s Office.

91ƬPro offers need-based financial aid and meets 100% of demonstrated need. This means you pay only what you and your family can afford. We do not "gap" students. 

First-year applicants will receive notification of their financial aid with their offer of admissions.

Yes. There are many part-time jobs available on campus that are not limited to students on financial aid.


Early Decision

91ƬPro 50% of our first-year classes come from students who have been admitted through the ED application process. 

ED I candidates will receive a decision by mid-December and ED II candidate will receive a decision by mid-February. 

Statistically, ED applicants are admitted at a higher rate than RD applicants because the pool is smaller. However, ED and RD applicants are reviewed against the same standards. 

ED candidates may initiate applications to other colleges, but if they are accepted under one of 91ƬPro’s ED plans they must immediately withdraw all other applications and enroll at 91ƬPro.

The only difference is the dates. 

Some students who are not accepted ED are deferred for reconsideration through Regular Decision and notified of their admission decision in mid-March. In some cases, an ED candidate is not competitive for admission. In thees situations, the Admissions Committee denies the applicant at the time of the ED notification, thus enabling the student to focus on alternative plans.

Yes. You can convert your RD application to an ED II application until February 1. Simply send an email to Admissions at admissions@skidmore.edu and indicate that you want to convert your application. Admissions will work with you to formalize it.


International students

Your school counselor or administrator should submit your O-level/IGCSE results and your predicted A-Level results. Applicants in an IB program should have their counselor or administrator submit their predicted IB exam results. Your final A-Level or IB exam results should be submitted upon completion if you are admitted and decide to enroll.

If you receive a 5 or higher in a Higher Level IB exam, you can receive 4 credits for each result up to a maximum of 16 credits. If you receive a C or higher in an A-level course, you can receive 4 credits for that result up to a maximum of 16 credits. If you receive a C or higher in an AS course, you can receive 2 credits for that result.

The use of agents is not needed to gain admission to 91ƬPro. As part of our application review process we look closely for any signs of unethical practices in all submitted documents.

91ƬPro accepts applications from undocumented or DACA students. However, financial aid funds for undocumented and DACA students are extremely limited and highly competitive. The College is committed to meeting the full demonstrated financial need of all admitted students, regardless of citizenship status. To apply for financial aid, undocumented and DACA students must submit the .

Yes. If you have begun classes at a university as a degree candidate in the U.S. or abroad, you can and should apply to 91ƬPro as a transfer student.

All applicants are eligible for need-based aid. International students who are applying for financial aid must complete the CSS Profile. We offer a very limited amount of aid for international students and it is a highly competitive process. If an international applicant has been admitted and enrolls without aid, they cannot apply for financial aid in the future. 91ƬPro is also a member of the Davis United World College Scholars Program.

Currently, there are nearly 250 international students from more than 60 countries. This represents about 9% of the overall student body of 2,700 students.

You only need to translate your grades to English. The translations can be done by an official from your school and they do not need to be done by an external agency, unless you are doing that for other schools and want to use the same files. 

Yes. For many, work-study is part of your total financial aid package can include up to $2,400 USD of earnings each year. This is money for personal expenses and spending money, not direct costs such as tuition or room/board.

Yes but only if the national exam results are tied to grades and completion requirements for your school. They will be reviewed like many other senior year exams as a final assessment and proof of graduation. If they are not tied to your grades/school, then we do not need the results. 


Transfer students

Transfer applications are accepted for both fall and spring semesters. The fall deadline is April 1 and the spring deadline is November 1. 

For transfer admission, the Admissions Committee places particular emphasis on the applicant's academic record in college but also considers secondary school records and standardized test scores. The committee will consider how well previous course selection at both the secondary and post-secondary level has prepared the applicant to satisfy 91ƬPro's degree requirements. Personal qualities, accomplishments, interests and capacity for growth are also considered, so careful attention is paid to recommendations, and the student's personal statement.

There is no minimum credit requirement, but we prefer to see one full year of college-level work completed prior to transferring.

A minimum of 120 credit hours is required for a 91ƬPro degree. We will accept a maximum of 60 transfer credit hours. A minimum of 60 credit hours must be completed here at 91ƬPro.

A tentative evaluation of transfer credit will be available upon request at the time of acceptance. The definitive evaluation is provided by the Office of the Registrar and is not available until after the student has decided to enroll at 91ƬPro and an enrollment deposit has been received. Only courses in which a student has received a grade of "C" or better are transferable.

Some need-based institutional grant assistance is available. For more information, please contact the Office of Financial Aid.

Yes. Housing is guaranteed for all incoming transfers.